Todd Newton's Reviews > Gardens of the Moon

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

Oct 29, 10

Gave up on this one just after the midway point. Couldn't handle it anymore.

I have tried and tried to read this book, but it is too unclear. I feel this is my fault, because I like to really know what's going on while others can handle pushing forward despite mystery and confusion.
To put it in perspective, the only character I felt like I knew anything about died, but then maybe was coming back to life, or something, because it could have been someone's dream.

I needed this book to get to the good part a lot sooner. I spent way too much time figuring out what was going on to care what was going to happen at the end, and I'm not sure I would have "got it" once I got there. Who knows, in ten years I may pick this back up and try again, but for now I am abandoning it (and the Malazan series as a whole).

Hopefully this doesn't discourage others from trying. I know Erikson's books are very popular, and I'm sure there is a good reason for that, but they're just not for me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gardens of the Moon.

10/11/2010 page 150
10/28/2010 page 330
67.0% "Still waiting for things to start making sense."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.M. (new) - added it

J.M. I'm interested in your thoughts on this one. It's a book I've picked up before, but keeps sliding on my to-read list despite good reviews.

Todd Newton Hey JM, I've had a few false starts with it myself. This time I bought it, though, so there's no excuse not to power through to the end. I'll definitely post a review when I get there.

message 3: by J.M. (new) - added it

J.M. Cool. I have it and the second book in the series sitting on my shelf. I do want to read them, so I'm looking forward to your review. Thanks!

Seak (Bryce L.) The ending is completely worth it. Each book is really hard starting out, but you're always rewarded.

Todd Newton This book's been difficult to get into. I think it's because of the characterization, it's not easy to get inside their heads (except possibly Tattersail). Add to that that for ~100 pages not a whole lot happened, this despite a big siege battle and lots of death. Even so, I'm finding myself a bit enamored with the struggle, but this book is nothing if not difficult to read. Hoping to finish it soon and move onto three Dresden books I borrowed.

message 6: by J.M. (new) - added it

J.M. Todd, I feel exactly the same way. But I'm also having trouble staying interested in Brandon Sanderson's WARBREAKER right now for similar reasons. I'm 100 pages in and couldn't give less of a fig for any of the characters. There must be a reason both of these books are rated so highly, though. I don't know Seak, but I'm going to put faith in his appraisal and stick with GotM until the end next time I pick it up. If you do the same, I look forward to reading your thoughts on the book as a whole.

Seak (Bryce L.) Ack, but I understand. As a huge fan, I also realize that it's definitely not for everyone. Love it or hate it type of series here.