Ann aka Iftcan's Reviews > The Morgue the Merrier

The Morgue the Merrier by Karen Kelley

Ok, I am a holiday anthology junkie. I freely admit this and have not as of yet been dragged kicking and screaming to a 12-step program for this addiction--altho my family has threatened a time or two to stage an intervention.

Having admitted all of the above, I will also admit that I am well aware that holiday themed anthologies tend to be a little, well, 1 deminsional, but this doesn't detract from my enjoyment of them, its just a warning to those who haven't read them. The premise is usually a bit constraining (have to set in the same location/holiday/area/family etc.) and then you have to work the whole holly jolly theme into the Christmas ones.

This book is set in an Inn that used to be a morgue (hence the name of the book.) There had been a fire at the morgue in the past and there had been bodies there, awaiting burial/pick-up/whatever. As a result of the unplanned (in most cases) cremations, the ghosts of those people are now stuck in the Inn. I admit--I loved some of the ghosts--hello, ghost of Elvis impersonator who is fat, not very good, loves to matchmake, oh--and did I mention gay? Then there's the ghost of the stripper, and the TWO ghosts of one of the character's parents. . .

Anyway, you get the drift. I don't expect a lot from these anthologies, just that they provide an enjoyable couple of hours, since they are usually very quick reads. This one did have me giggling in a few spots and liking some of the characters (see above reference to El, the Elvis impersonator.) I very seldom give an anthology 5 stars, since there is usually 1 or 2 stories that are weak in them or that I don't really enjoy. But, on the whole, it did what I wanted it to do--gave me a nice, simple quick read.
2 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Morgue the Merrier.