Yoonmee's Reviews > The Black Book of Secrets

Jun 09, 10

liked it
bookshelves: children-s-books, 2010-nene-nominees, fantasy-science-fiction
Read from June 07 to 09, 2010

I very quickly glanced through the reviews and was surprised only one or two people mentioned the Jesus connection. I thought the author was trying to make a connection to Christianity, but maybe I'm on the wrong path. Still, it seems pretty obvious -- confess your sins to a man, admit wrongdoing, apologize, feel better about it. The man, named Joe Zabbidou in this book, pays you to tell your secrets (read: sins) and never judges. You can make a parallel between how Jesus or God listens to your sins, never judges, and loves you unconditionally. Maybe the money he pays to the villagers, which ultimately helps them out of troubles, is similar to God's love for us. Joe tells the villagers to wait, to be patient, not to do any harm to anyone, just like Jesus did. The ending makes the Jesus connection a bit of a stretch, but I won't give away the ending here.

Jesus connection aside, I enjoyed the story. Higgins manages to keep the story somewhat light-hearted, despite the gruesome stories/secrets being told.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Book of Secrets.