Heidi's Reviews > Fathom

Fathom by Cherie Priest

1208981
Jun 16, 10

Read from June 07 to 10, 2010

I decided to read this because I really enjoyed Priest's latest novel, Boneshaker. Fathom wasn't as enjoyable for me, although it is very unique - the author definitely has her own voice. This particular novel is sort of a fantasy-fable-historical fiction mashup, which I liked about it, but the story ultimately fell flat. In short, a powerful water witch and her human allies (who consist of a pirate and a psychotic teenage girl) try to destroy the world by awakening a godlike giant who is slumbering beneath the oceans, while a dirt monster and a girl encased in stone try to stop them. Throw in an insurance salesman, a random ghost and some wannabe satanists for good measure. Great premise, not-so-great execution. The characters aren't fully developed, and there isn't a clear protagonist to root for or get attached to. The writing is very lyrical, but it just wasn't an easy book to read. I am eager to keep reading Priest, though, since I really like Boneshaker and she's working on a sequel to that. I definitely recommend the author, just not this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fathom.