Jen's Reviews > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

1719442
Aug 27, 10

bookshelves: need-to-review, lit-fic, calvin-2012, montambomademedoit, book-cover-hoochie
Read from June 07 to August 27, 2010

Three point five. If I had read the ending first and the beginning last and just skipped the middle I'd have given it a four point five. More later.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

06/07/2010 page 113
34.66% "I have now been using the phrase "wearing heavy boots" ...god save me from becoming too precious. I hope Foer can walk the tightrope without becoming too touching, because right now I'm loving this book."
06/16/2010 page 175
48.0% "Coherence, where are you?" 2 comments
06/17/2010 page 186
51.0% ""How many hundreds of thousands of fingers brushing against each other does it take to make love?"" 4 comments
06/18/2010 page 227
62.0% "Back on track."
06/19/2010 page 293
80.0% "Pulling together" 3 comments
07/01/2010 page 368
100.0% "Huh. I think I'll have to marinate my mind with this book before giving it a rating."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 1 star

Ben I should stop expecting so much from you when it comes to anything but Greene. Afterall, you did like The Kite Runner. ; )

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen And you like Mr. fattyboombalatty prose puffed Irving:)
We all make concessions for our friends...my excuse for you this time is that you, dear heart, know not what you speak of because you listened to the book instead of read it. And this book must be looked at. Whoever decided it should be an audio book just because every other book has an audio format of itself was just wrong. Very wrong. Listening to this book would be like trying to make sense out of a Proust picture book (it's hard enough to get it fully as it is without messing with things)

message 3: by Moira (new) - added it

Moira Russell Jen wrote: "Mr. fattyboombalatty prose puffed Irving"

HA!

David Katzman i found this reasonable enjoyable but underwhelming. The kid parts where fun; the old history scenes were melodramatic.

message 5: by Jen (last edited Jul 02, 2010 06:19AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen I'm still working through it, which is a good sign when it happens with movies...if my man says he likes a movie during the credits and then says, "Well?" and turns to me and I grimace and say nothing, most times it means in two days I'll be telling everyone about how great it is. But I'm not so sure with books, or this book. To be played so long at such high tense points on the emotional fretboard only to resolve like it did....well, I'll have to keep thinking about it until I can approach what conclusions I've reached.

Charles I liked it "OK," but my enthusiasms is waning with time. I enjoyed The History of Love by Kraus (Foer's wife) somewhat more, and I recommend it somewhat more. It is, at least, shorter.
And who is that amazingly handsome young man in your photo? And, no more Huntsville "Texas." Wow. Wow.

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen That handsome young man is my last human creation. He is the master of disaster.

Yes- new and improved location, I think. I hope. Same Jen.