Anna's Reviews > The War of Mists

Jun 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, books-i-own, young-adult
Read on June 01, 2010

I feel a slight hesitation as I write this; I can almost see the rotten tomatoes coming towards my head. Let me begin by saying that Luthiel’s Song is a wonderful story. I really enjoyed “Dreams of the Ringed Vale” and started “War of Mists” without delay. The principals of Fanney’s story continue to develop and grow, but all of the secondary characters seem more and more meaningless as they multiply in number. I sense that Fanney has this unbelievably interesting fantasy world, complete and perfected in his mind, but what he doesn’t do, is bring the reader in with him. This is my own personal opinion, mind you, but I felt left out of the story. As the story progresses, more and more characters are introduced. So many, in fact, I had to continually backtrack to figure out who they were. At the same time the writer tried to make the reader feel emotionally connected with inconsequential characters and/or the loss of them. Because of this, I feel that the author lost a great deal of good “story” amidst the chaos of unimportant clutter. I wish I knew more about the villain. Aside from that, I did enjoy the story. The characters that had sufficient development, I thoroughly fell in love with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War of Mists.