Gray Emerson's Reviews > Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said

Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick

U 50x66
Dec 17, 07

Read in December, 2007

I've read two other novels by Philip K. Dick and a lot of his short stories. He's one of the best American novelists (if not the best) of the later 20th century and this book is the best I've read so far. It's about a television/music star who suddenly discovers no one knows who he is anymore. Even the totalitarian government has no record of him ever existing. His struggles to reassert his identity cause him to question the authenticity of the reality he had been living in. More important than the question of this past reality's actual existence is the question of what it meant to him. He had over 3,000,000 viewers every week but was he really loved? Dick's novels are incredibly imaginative, post-modern, and at times prophetic but their constantly shifting worlds are always grounded by something concrete. This novel, the most mind-bending I've read by him, is grounded by love - what it is, what it does, and what it really means.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said.