Chad's Reviews > Go, Mutants!

Go, Mutants! by Larry Doyle

Oct 13, 10

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from October 06 to 13, 2010

I really enjoy 1950s/1960s history along with all the sci-fi and monster horror movies that were made back then, so I was really excited to receive this uncorrected proof. After the first few chapters I was concerned that I might put this book down and not finish it. The first half of the book does not flow well. I understand that Larry Doyle is trying to develop the characters and set-up the storyline for the reader to follow, but it was difficult to stay with all the moving parts. Many character descriptions need not make sense or were not completely laid out. Too many unanswered questions and half developed parts. With this being said, once you get through the first half of the book you are rewarded with the second half which flows nicely and keeps you involved. I could not put the book down in the home stretch and had to finish it before going to sleep.

I was going to give the rating of 2 as it was just “OK”, but after the Intermission (which is about 200 pages into the book) the book really picked up and I enjoyed the second half which allowed me to rate it with a solid 3 as I did enjoy it. I thank Larry Doyle for attempting to bring back the aliens, mutants, and atomic monsters of B-movie legend for another entire generation to enjoy.

I received this book (uncorrected proof) for free through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you to Greg who listed this book for giveaway. What a great giveaway program!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go, Mutants!.