Jennifer's Reviews > The Darkest Kiss

The Darkest Kiss by Gena Showalter

Jun 10, 2010

bookshelves: demon, paranormal, romance
Read from June 07 to 10, 2010

I have to say I liked The Darkest Kiss a lot more than the previous book, The Darkest Night. I generally prefer UF to PNR and I found this book nicely balanced the romance between Anya and Lucien with the quest for the items, and the other events going on with Reyes, Aeron, and Paris.

I really enjoyed the greater focus on the gods and the lost items; it made it seem the series was actually going somewhere. I also appreciated more foreshadowing of future couples, rather than letting the book be completely dedicated to the one romance. It was good to see things happening with Reyes, Danika, and Aeron. Early in the book I worried Aeron would spend the entire novel trapped in the dungeon.

As far as the romance goes, I also greatly preferred this story's couple. Ashlyn in the last book came across as too soft and whiny for me, where as Anya always pushed back. I think the thing that kept me most interested in the romantic plot was Lucien and Anya's frequent fighting. There's something innately appealing about throwing daggers at each other one second and kissing the next.

Overall it was a very good book. Eager for more, I've already started book 3, The Darkest Pleasure

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Kiss.

06/07/2010 page 50