Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Raised by Wolves

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Nov 08, 10

bookshelves: kat-s-book-reviews, should-have-been-bad
Read in July, 2010

I actually had a massive struggle to be-star this book in an appropriate manner. I think it's one of the first times I've ever really cursed GoodRead's refusals to allow half stars because whilst this wasn't QUITE a four star read, it was definitely more than a three.

In fact, I really want to give it four stars just on principle.

I might...

But, no, that would compromise my ethics.

And that's like Spiderman deciding to turn into a giant, flying douche evil. It's just WRONG.

Nobody wants to see that...

Raised by Wolves is rather predictably about a human girl, Bryn who is... raised by wolves.

There's nothing particularly original about the portrayal of werewolf society in this novel. It is highly reminiscent of the Mercy Thompson series and some of the descriptions about pack running reeked of Bitten.

Bryn gets in trouble when a 'bitten' boy shows up and she and he both discover they were attacked by the same rabid werewolf.

OOOOOHHHH! Shit just got real!

So Bryn has been a very bad girl and in pack society, this is the perfect opportunity to exercise their rights to BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF A FIFTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL.

Until she's sorry.

Now, Bryn knows that she's deserved this and rightfully brought the anger of the pack down onto her little, barely-pubescent shoulders because in a moment of stress she broke a small, tiny, insignificant agreement she had with a leader.

She totally knows they're justified and was all ready to start telling people she tripped... repeatedly until she suffered cracked ribs, seven contusions, four lacerations, a concussion and passed out for three days.

She knows this is perfectly reasonable.

Unfortunately, her adopted human-yet-married-to-pack mother packs up Bryn and her four month old twins, flips her husband the bird and moves her family as far away as she possibly can.

Now this is where the story really picks up because Bryn starts to take matter into her own hands and I really enjoyed her journey from brainwashed pack member into someone who realizes that maybe it's not okay to beat someone who's not legally allowed to drink - just because she didn't follow every rule perfectly.

So why wasn't this book a four star read?

Well, for starters, Barnes needs to clean up her prose a little. There were times when I felt like she kind of got lost in writing things that didn't make sense. Often, her writing didn't always convey what I think she felt it would and the climatic end needed to be more powerful in its deliverance.

I think Callum gets off really lightly for his actions. I finished the novel really wanting to bash his face in for masking his actions as love. Gross.

This isn't sexy!

It's hard to know what to think about Raised by Wolves. On one hand, I want to read about Bryn when she's much older and no longer easily grounded by everyone within a 10 mile vicinity. I think that would be a more enjoyable story. I think I'd really like to read about her come into her own, but I do need the writing to clear up a little and become smoother and more emotive.

I don't know how interested I am in reading more of teenage Bryn though. Other than that, for a YA paranormal read, this wasn't bad at all.

And if you don't like it - they may just beat you... for your own good of course...
62 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raised by Wolves.

message 1: by Miss Clark (new)

Miss Clark I had this on my t-b-r list, but I really have to say it just does not sound like something I want to sit through when my reading hours will be so heavily curtailed for the next few months.

message 2: by Ceilidh (new)

Ceilidh It takes a lot nowadays for a paranormal YA to really grab me beyond snarking purposes so this one will be getting a pass from me.

Kelly I think what scares me most about the book is that, while I think the romance with Colin is pretty bloodless and I totally get not feeling satisfied with it, there are fans of this book who want to see Bryn with Callum and think he's hawt. !!!!!!!! Are there that many girls wanting to have the crap beat out of them by an authority figure?

Kat Kennedy Can't even imagine why people would want Callum and Bryn together, Kelly!

Celidih, I can't promise you'll like it but I found I really liked Ali.

message 5: by Scribble (last edited Nov 08, 2010 04:08AM) (new)

Scribble Orca I'm very selfishly glad you read all this stuff so I don't have to. And you make your reviews of these books much more interesting than the books could ever possibly be. Thank you.

(I think other people have said this. I'm just a sucker for the truth).

message 6: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi I love the mouse hamster I mean

Hannah Do they actually beat the shit out of her?

Kat Kennedy They well and truly beat the shit out of her. I'm talking about a three day coma worthy beating.

Hannah Holy shit >< Thats intense

Kat Kennedy Ya, I know. Thus the hamster... It was too depressing to put in any other picture.

message 11: by Crowinator (new)

Crowinator "OOOOOHHHH! Shit just got real!"

Your reviews always crack me up and make me think at the same time. Bravo!

message 12: by zara (new)

zara I attempted to finish this book for the second time and just gave up. This book SUCKS, I don't even want to waste my valuable time anymore. so why was she beaten up? I won't read it so you can spoil EVERYTHING for me.

Kat Kennedy Gosh, Zara! It was so long ago. I think there was a rule that she wasn't allowed to touch the boy and she gives him a cuddle or some ridiculous shit like that.

Jahlia ((thing 10 Evil 1)) She got beat up becuase she touched chase(aka bitten kid) she was directly told not to by the pack leader. So they beat her down, well, her best friend's mother beat her down. =(. I loved how Ally went all momma bear on their asses. Especially her husband........she had him put in a cage. =).

Clickety I kind of liked that she tried to justify the beating... that SORT of thing was kind of foreshadowed when she first agreed to mind-meld with the rest of the pack & wondered about the long-term consequences.

message 16: by Tasha C (new)

Tasha C I'm kind of over YA werewolves at this point... But I'm really intrigued that they beat a 15year old girl for breaking the rules

Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) Yeah I just read past the beating part where she was taken away by her mom, and the whole time was wondering why the fuck she's so okay with what happened. When her mom took her away and expressed outrage I sighed in relief that this isn't gonna be one of those abuse defending books.

Sasha  Mizaree (Reviews) Though I guess I will pass final judgement if and when I finish

Erica Uhh... kelly? U do know that callums her dad right??? Just wanna clear that up.