R.'s Reviews > Flaubert's Parrot

Flaubert's Parrot by Julian Barnes

Feb 04, 08

bookshelves: 2008
Recommended to R. by: Melanie

Flaubert's Parrot. What a grand and gentle tour! The chapter on grief, "Pure Story", was so note perfect that it could've been a song. It could have been...a song.

Earlier pre-review:
What did I learned from this book? I learn to buy books for $2.99. What a deal. And then approached by a lady in the parking lot asking me if I had a gas can. Checked. No, I don't. "There's an ACE Hardware." "Do you have any money for a gas can? They won't let me use this! *shakes liquid detergent jug at me* Just a few bucks???" "Um. No." I mean, logical fallacy: why was she trying to buy gas in the first place? I wished her good luck and unwrapped my new-used Morrissey CD and shoved it in the slot. Saw her walking in circles, with the liquid detergent bottle in her hand as I pulled out into the city's bleak belly, o sad and paunchy night.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flaubert's Parrot.

Quotes R. Liked

Julian Barnes
“His air of failure had nothing desperate about it; rather, it seemed to stem from an unresented realisation that he was not cut out for success, and his duty was therefore to ensure only that he failed in the correct and acceptable fashion.”
Julian Barnes, Flaubert's Parrot