August Reed's Reviews > Mason & Dixon

Mason & Dixon by Thomas Pynchon

Jun 07, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: novels, thomaspynchon

Took me awhile to work through this one. Some moments bored me and some were pure brilliance. I especially like the scene with the two talking clocks. Just read through to that point, if you like (I'll have to look up the page numbers). You will be glad you did.

Disclaimer: Thomas Pynchon is one of my favorite authors. He is complex and frustrating, but I believe you should read everyone of his novels--at least one. Read them not so much for the story, but for the sheer power of the writing. Some aficionados read him just for the songs he inserts or the tangents he wanders off to. As an author, Mr. Pynchon never ceases to amaze me. His depth and insight combined with his creativity and wit generate rational magic. The weight of which you feel pressing from within you. Sometimes you have to read a passage several times to see its meaning; then, as though you knew all along, you will see its beauty. The effort will have been worth it. Pynchon's writing sticks to you like caramel. Lingers like an addiction. Once you have read him you will always want him near.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mason & Dixon.