Tara Chevrestt's Reviews > Talk To The Hand

Talk To The Hand by Nicole Dryburgh

Jun 23, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, 2010-release, deaf-heroine, memoir
Read on June 23, 2010

Wow. Nicole Dryburgh was truly an amazing young lady. How many of us have it in us to not only survive everyday as paralyzed, blind, and deaf, but also make the best of it? Not very many.

In Nicole's first book, she told readers about her cancer tumors, her hospitalization, her paralyses, and her her blindness. In this second installment of her life story, Nicole begins going deaf. She must learn deaf/blind sign language after the pink hearing aides fail her. Where most of us would have broke down and cracked, Nicole kept going. What I found the most touching about her story is how happy she remained, how positive. Going to NYC and petting a cow was something joyful to talk about and write about. It is life's simpler pleasures that make the most difference.. if you let them.

Most of the book, however, was full of fundraising projects and "dealing with stress" tips. I wanted more of Nicole's story and her adaptation to deafness than the book provided. But still a touching read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talk To The Hand.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet Does it give you any insight as to what is important in life? This also sounds like a good read. Will have to read this too next time I visit.
Good review as always.

Tara Chevrestt No. I couldn't do it. Honestly. I've been "strong" for thirty years. I'm tired. LOL. If I went blind on top of my deafness.. I couldn't do it. I'm not Nicole.

message 3: by Janet (new)

Janet I bet you could... Your stronger than you think. If you went blind you wouldn't be working so you wouldn't be tired any more....

message 4: by Tara (new)

Tara I did not know she died so recently. Sounds like the other book tells more of her story.

Tara Chevrestt Um, hello? I wouldn't be working.. I wouldn't be reading books and I wouldn't be reading lips.

Tara, I recommend the first book if you want a real good look at her life and what she went thru. The Way I See It.