Valerie's Reviews > Lying Awake

Lying Awake by Mark Salzman

Jun 06, 10

bookshelves: 2010
Read in June, 2010

The setting for this book is a convent, a nun in turmoil. These are some quotes from the book that I liked.

God planned everything down to the smallest details, and everything He did had a positive meaning and coherence.

And her actions were all beautiful. She turned even the most ordinary tasks, like pulling maps down or emptying the pencil sharpener, into sacraments. On the other hand, she could talk about faith in a way that made it sound like common sense. She made divine things seem human and human things seem divine.

Just because we cannot understand what happens to us doesn't mean that God doesn't.

May you find the strength to do God's will and to leave your own preferences behind.

Most of the time, we place ourselves at the center of the world, and expect it all to revolve around us. The view can look pretty bleak from there. On the other hand, if we put God at the center of everything, the view changes completely.

The only path to victory was through surrender. To become full, one had to become empty.

Take heart, Sister! You may feel separated from grace right now, but in reality you are probably closer to it now than you ever were before..... We're all better off having doubts about the state of our souls than presuming ourselves to be holy. You've allowed yourself to think that loving God meant enjoying His company, having ecstasies. It was all about you.... But loving God is supposed to be all about Him. About trusting Him, putting yourself in His hands completely.

I'm too young to feel finished, too old to start over, and too worn out to see coherence in all this.

No matter how many times we hear what it costs to follow Christ, we're still shocked when the bill comes, and we wonder all over again if we can pay it. If we make an act of faith then, it counts more than on the days when we feel sure.

Everything we learn about God leads to deeper mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lying Awake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vera Hannaford Beautiful book; lots of good quotes and things to think about.