Angela's Reviews > Driving Sideways

Driving Sideways by Jess Riley

Sep 26, 10

bookshelves: library-books, 2010-books
Read from September 21 to 26, 2010

I really, really liked this book. I would recommend it to anyone who needs to get a little Perspective with a capital P, and who needs to realize that compared to the main character in this book, any problems you may have really aren't THAT bad. Leigh is 28 and is faced with spending the last several years of her life in and out of hospitals, on dialysis, and waiting for a kidney donor. She truly doesn't believe that she will make it to age 30. If that isn't enough, her mother abandoned her and her brother when she was very young, causing her father to commit suicide. I'm telling you, this girl has real problems.
You would think that this book would be depressing, but it isn't. The author must be right around my age, because there were a ton of pop culture references and jokes that I have actually heard (or said) in real life. There is so much humor that it makes the difficult subject matter downright enjoyable. I also really appreciated the message of this book, which is whatever life you have, it is your responsibility to make the best of it and live it to the fullest. Even if things aren't so rosy and don't turn out the way you would like. In the beginning of the book, Leigh, who has just received a kidney from a donor, believes that the kidney has given her some personality traits of the donor, personality traits that she really admires. She decides to go on a road trip to wrap up some unfinished business, and credits the kidney with giving her the guts to do it. By the end of the book, she learns that she doesn't need the donated kidney -or the personality attached to it- to be the person she wants to be.
This is one of those books that I am disappointed I got from the library, because I am sure I will want to read it again. Whenever I start to think that things in life aren't turning out the way I would like, this book will remind me that no matter what happens, I can always choose to live the life I want to live.
Okay, enough motivational mumbo jumbo. I better stop before I say that I live in a van down by the river- which is totally something the main character in this book would say. Just read it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Driving Sideways.