Appel Aja's Reviews > Raising Lifelong Learners: A Parent's Guide

Raising Lifelong Learners by Lucy McCormick Calkins

U_50x66
Jun 27, 10

Read from June 06 to 27, 2010

This book was interesting to me both as a teacher, and as a parent-to-be. Lucy Calkins' ideas on teaching reading and writing are well-known and respected in the field of literacy education. I refer to her books on reading and writing workshops frequently in my teaching. This particular book focused on how parents can raise children who love to learn in all subject areas. I was thrilled to hear her explaining that the key to raising lifelong learners is to simply let children become artists, scientists, readers, writers, and mathematicians. Ask your child to notice things in the world and invite your child to explain and expand his/her thinking. Let children take apart machines, immerse themselves in books of their choosing, marvel at ants building their home, create their own art, notice patterns in the world, etc. In order to raise lifelong learners parents should help their children become critical-thinkers who are curious about the world around them. Children would enjoy learning more if parents let go of the drill-and-kill worksheets, flash cards, and emphasis on fact recall instead of critical thinking.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raising Lifelong Learners.