Ariel Cummins's Reviews > This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All

This Book Is Overdue! by Marilyn Johnson

Jun 19, 11

bookshelves: career, nonfiction
Read from June 16 to 18, 2011

I really, really wanted to like this book. And I tried! Quite hard! But, ultimately, it fell flat for me. I think one of the reasons this book wasn't as good as it could be is that the audience for it was unclear. Was Marilyn Johnson writing to inform librarians about the future of their profession? Was she writing to educate the public about all the great things librarians will happily do for them? I felt like she did both, but in scattered way that didn't really achieve excellence with either. Overall, the book ended up feeling sort of like a breathless recounting of what technologically advanced librarians were doing -- three years ago. A lot of the anecdotes she relates seem stale already, including the forty page long descriptions of libraries in Second Life. Honestly, I'm starting to think Second Life is made up entirely of academics who are writing papers about how Second Life is going to change the world.

Overall, this book had a couple of interesting nuggets in it, but if you're at all acquainted with what librarians do, or the technology that's used not just in libraries, but in all kinds of businesses, it's a skippable book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Book Is Overdue!.

message 1: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara too bad. I've been wanting to read (and enjoy) this one.

Ariel Cummins Maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did! I just couldn't get into it. I do love the cover, though!