Helmisade's Reviews > Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave

Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave by Frederick Douglass

The history shelf at my local bookstore is a dangerous place...this is one of the books that I bought after going in to just "take a look and not buy anything."

Being Scandinavian, slavery is a bit distant reality to me, familiar through school history classes and movies/TV. This true story, written by a man who spent many years as a slave, is an amazing read.

Douglas has no need to make his story sound "super dramatic", that's what it already is. Instead he focuses on analysing slavery and the society that accepts treating other human beings as slaves.

After escaping from slavery, Douglas spent his life helping others and talking about slavery. I have nothing but respect for this man and hope that this book would be read by as many people as possible.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave.