Michelle's Reviews > The Gathering Storm

The Gathering Storm by Bodie Thoene

Jul 21, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 16 to 20, 2010

I am a long time fan of Brock and Bodie Thoene's WWII fiction. I first read the Zion Covenant series and Zion Chronicles series over 15 years ago. I must admit I almost screamed with joy when I found there was to be a series bridging the two earlier series. I also screamed (on the inside) when I found The Gathering Storm at Barnes and Noble on Friday.

In true Thoene fashion, The Gathering Storm begins with a modern day prologue. However, unlike the earlier books, this one is written in first person from the point of view of the heroine, Loralei Bittick. She is the daughter of an Austrian pastor and his Texan wife. The story begins in Brussels just as the phony war is ending with the Nazi invasion of the neutral countries. The story follows Loralei's escape from the continent to London. In London, Loralei runs into Eben Golah, who she knew in pre-war Europe. Eben is quite a fascinating character. If I say more, I feel I might be in danger of spoiling the book.

At the end of The Gathering Storm, readers will find short descriptions of upcoming books in the Zion Diaries series. These two books will reintroduce characters from the Zion Covenant and Zion Chronicles. I look forward to reading these new books as well.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering Storm.

07/20/2010 page 165

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amber (new)

Amber Stokes I loved Love Finds You in Lahaina, Hawaii by Bodie Thoene--so I'm sure this one must be great, too! Are you going to share a review? :)

Michelle Quite possibly. I need to wrap my brain around the book first, it's one that stays with you after reading the last word.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia Reffner ooohhh...I love the Thoene's...can't wait to read this one. I want to read Love Finds You in LaHaina, too.

Michelle I have Love Finds You in Lahaina sitting on my shelf. Need to read some library books first though.