Dominic's Reviews > Troy

Troy by Adèle Geras

Jan 30, 11

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from June 06 to 09, 2010

Troy retells the awesome epic of The Illiad through the perspective of several citizens of the doomed city of Troy. Of course Hector & Helen & Paris all make significant appearances, but the most pages focus on the lives and loves of their devoted servants--in particular two sisters named Xanthe and Marpessa who are just as memorable as those of the best myths. The third-person narration was consistent and clear and at times compelling.

I loved revisiting the story of the Trojan War, but Troy is epic in its own way, too. Geras introduces new compelling characters that felt very human and real, but she is true to the original spirit of the tale. The book does require a healthy knowledge of the gods to grasp the full message (and many gods and goddesses make appearances here), but there were so many dazzling moments that I couldn't help but remember why I was so stuck on Greek mythology when I was younger.

Someday I will pull out my Lattimore translation again and fall in love with The Illiad all over again, but for now this novel really satisfies.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troy.