Adam's Reviews > The Big Time

Aug 03, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: audiobook, hugo
Read from July 29 to August 03, 2010

Where do I begin? I realize that this book is over 50 years old. However, that does not make it palatable looking through the lens of the past.

The Big Time is about a war fought by means of time travel between two factions which continually change the events of the past to affect the final outcome of the war. The action of the book takes place in a recuperation station for worn out soldiers. The story is narrated by a person whom can only be described as a time traveling prostitute. All of these things by themselves are ok and even moderately interesting.

...back to the prostitute. She is quite possibly the most annoying narrator in literature. I may go too far there, but I couldn't get over how dumb she was. Perhaps that was the character, or the mentality of the 60's or the author. I'm not sure. All I do know is that if by some chance I was at a party with this person I would probably want to throw her out into the void. It seemed that ever time something of import was happening her knee-jerk response would be to yell "PARTY!!!" and then jump off the roof into the pool. Anyway, the other characters are equally misplaced and not to my liking either.

In the end I must say something good; the time travel aspect made some sort of sense as far as resolving paradoxes. I also wanted to see what happened next even though I would often cringe to think about it with my modern sensibilities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Time.