Kara's Reviews > Texas Gothic

Texas Gothic by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: modern-fantasy, dogs, mystery, modern-teenagers, ghosts

First, a comment on the cover: I don’t like it. I really don't like this trend of extreme close-ups on covers - its as bad as the headless woman shots, only these make me think she's trying to sell me lipstick, shampoo, or contacts.

Next, my favorite line in the book:

"Don't ever trust anyone who's writing a book. They make up lies for a living."

I want to get this on a t-shirt, fridge magnet, bumper sticker, and quite possibly chisel it onto my grandfather's tombstone.

Ok, my actual review follows:

The Law of Chekov’s Gun informs us that a gun hung on the wall in Act 1 will be fired by Act 3. In the romance version of this, if a girl and boy have a fight the first time they meet in Act 1 they will be making out by Act 3.

Clement-Moore takes this to humorous heights as her main Girl and Boy characters have quite the heated debate when they first meet, made all the funnier by the fact it starts with the girl jumping up and down in her underwear while yelling at some cows to get away from her car (in makes sense in context.)

Ghosts and goats, cows and cowboys, and archeology and parapsychology all follow, with some beer and barbeque thrown in, and of course, well meaning family members driving our main characters crazy.

Clement-Moore should consider working for the Texas Tourism Bureau, because she can really sell her setting – the rural land she describes becomes a character in its own right, and one that sounds to be very much worth meeting.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Texas Gothic.

08/10/2011 page 119
29.0% "Jusr read this line, which totally cracked me up:

"Don't ever trust anyone who's writing a book. They make up lies for a living."

I want to get this on a t-shirt, fridge magnet, bumper sticker, and quite possibly chisel into my grandfather's tombstone."
show 2 hidden updates…