Lisa's Reviews > A Big Storm Knocked It Over

A Big Storm Knocked It Over by Laurie Colwin

Jun 27, 2010

Read from June 06 to 27, 2010

Laurie Colwin's books tend to be like Sofia Coppola movies: heavy on atmosphere, thin on action. People decry her work for its lack of a linear, fast-pulsing plot. But this is exactly the reason I love it. "A Big Storm" isn't about a chain of events; it's a cross-section of place, time, circumstance. It's about mood and reflection and the small, ordinary joys and heartbreaks that end up defining our lives. As both a reader and a writer, this, to me, *is* plot. I think it was L.M. Montgomery who said that births, deaths, marriages and the like are the most interesting things in the world. I heartily agree, as I suspect that Colwin would have. Then too, she writes with an extraordinary sense of beauty, even when events and relationships turn painful, that infuses the entire book. There's none of the graphic ugliness, horrifying tragedy or grim outlook that today's authors don't seem able to resist. The real tragedy is that Colwin died so young and deprived us of decades more of her astounding work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Big Storm Knocked It Over.

02/20 marked as: read