Dani Butler's Reviews > Jekel Loves Hyde

Jekel Loves Hyde by Beth Fantaskey

Jun 06, 10

bookshelves: 2010, library-borrowed, mystery, sci-fi-and-fantasy, romance, young-adult
Read in June, 2010

The cover and title of this young adult book grabbed my attention at the library. Like many young adult books Jekel Loves Hyde, ends each chapter on a 'cliff hanger' that encourages the reader to start the next chapter. The story is also told in both Jill Jekel and Tristen Hyde (our main characters)prospective, which is somewhat uncommon in the romance genera. I have mix feelings about this technique being applied. On one hand the reader is instantly gratified with knowing the motives and feelings of both characters; on the other hand, because the tension and anxiety of not knowing the whole story is destroy by this technique, Fantaskey has to create regular 'road blocks' to keep our main characters apart and the relationship interesting. Frantaskey could have crafted a better book if Jill and Tristen had different and distinct voices.

However, I do feel that Jill is a dramatic change heroine--which seems more or less to be lacking in young adult books. This book does a great job blending in modern teen issues (such as when to have sex, betrayal of 'friends', and follow the rules vs. being independent)with classic references and a horror/sci-fi suspense. I also wasn't a fan of the book epilogue--but then again I think it's more of the genera of young adult than Fantaskey and its attempt on placing morals on the sticky subject of pre-marriage sex.

I would like to read Fantaskey other young adult book 'Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side,' I've read many reviews suggesting that this is the better out of the two novels.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jekel Loves Hyde.