Steph Bowe's Reviews > Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer

Theodore Boone by John Grisham

Apr 30, 14

I’m not sure what to say about this book except that it reads like a prologue. Nothing huge or earth-shattering really happened. We didn’t really get much of a conclusion. We got a whole lot of info about all of the characters, and a lot of plotlines were established that were not developed. It really is just an introduction to a series.

Something that’s surprising about this is that Theodore is thirteen, which is an odd age for what I believe is meant to be a YA novel (it seems more like the age of a protagonist in an MG novel). And Theodore didn’t really seem like a teenaged boy, or a teenager, or a child at all. He seemed like a miniature adult. I’m not sure whether that was the intention of the author or not, but to me, in spite of having a young protagonist, this didn’t seem like a YA novel at all. I’m not even sure what kind of novel it was. It confused me.

That said, I found the characters interesting, and the book was well-constructed – I kept reading because I needed to find out what happened. It was a disappointment that not a whole lot actually did happen. I’m interested to see what happens with some of the plotlines in the next book.

If you like John Grisham’s novels, and you’re interested in reading the rest of this series (I haven’t even checked whether there will be a series, but I’m assuming it is as it certainly doesn’t read like a standalone novel) then it’s worth checking out. I was an underwhelmed by it, but I’ll be interested in reading the next book in the series and seeing if things get a little livelier.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Theodore Boone.