Eleanor's Reviews > Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth

Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware

May 20, 07

Recommended for: lovers of graphic novels

Easily the best graphic novel I've read, if you are into Chris Ware's stuff (and I would even recommend this book as a starter) I highly highly recommend getting the hardcover version with the dust-cover. The cover folds out to form a gigantic two sided poster that is practically its own novel, Ware excells at minutia and the dust-cover is no exception, I think I spent at least an hour reading it.

The book itself absolutely demolishes convential form on many levels, from the way you hold the book, to mind-tricks with frames, photo realistic colors, colors as leitmotifs, I don't want to call this the ulysses of graphic novels but it is a must-read for fans of the genre. A heartbreaking semi-auto-biographical story of a boy through the eyes of his own childhood fantasies painfully stained by the reality of growing up with one parent, the crumbling of idols, extensive, marquez-esque family history, but above all incredible truth. The only thing you don't get out of the hardcover edition with the sweet dustcover is an added 7 page coda found at the end of the softcover edition, I recommend reading that in the bookstore after having finished the hardcover. Or buying the soft and reading the dust cover in the store (however there is a sticker/seal you would have to loosen.)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth.