Kailin's Reviews > Bitter Frost

Bitter Frost by Kailin Gow

Jan 08, 2016

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: young-adult, teen, award-winning-book, fairy, fantasy-romance, kailin-gow, romance, international-bestseller, books-to-game, werewolves, women-empowerment, mystery
I own a copy

I notice other authors on Goodreads voting on their books. Presidents and other politicians can vote for themselves, why couldn't authors? Especially when they're an active member of Goodreads, too. Goodreads wouldn't be inviting authors to be part of their programs if they didn't want authors to get involve in discussions, groups, and on their own book sites. So, here I am. Obviously I believe and care enough about this series to put my heart, soul, and emotions into not just one book, but at least 5 books in this series and a spin-off series. I have drafted five books when I first began this series and that's how I first pictured this: the story of the Winter Fairies and how one girl became Queen of the fairies. There's a beginning (Bitter Frost), the climb (Forever Frost), middle (Silver Frost), and more (Frost Kisses), and then Midnight Frost, Frost Fire, Spring Frost, and Enchanted Frost. This series has been planned out long ago, had a delayed publishing date because of personal illness, and then finally published by the EDGE books, who took a chance on developing a multi-book series about fairies with a theme of Love Being Stronger than Magic.

The world of Feyland was first published in 2003 in my middle grade series, The Fairy Rose Chronicles, where there is a land of the fey where the Winter fey wars with the Summer fey. Prince Kian was also first introduced as the Winter Prince in The Fairy Rose Chronicles. This series won the Reader's Choice Nomination from the American Library Association YALSA organization (a very real organization lol whom I love and support both as a consumer and as a parent).

I believe in this series. I believe in the positive message behind this book, and thank goodness my publisher, producers, and thousands of readers around the world believe in it, too.

16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Frost.

Quotes Kailin Liked

Kailin Gow
“There is no law stronger than that of
magic. - Kian”

Kailin Gow
“My father laughed. "The magic of Summer," he said, "is unlike anything else. Imagine life, fertility, laughter, joy, ripening fruits and the smell of fresh bread baking in the morning. That is Summer magic."
Forever Frost (Frost Series 2)”

Kailin Gow
“Dreams, my mother always told me, represend part of our unconsciousness--the place where we store the true parts of our soul, away from the rest of the world." From Breena quoting her mother in Bitter Frost”

Kailin Gow
“the dream had come again, like the sun after a storm. It was the same dream that had come many times before, battering down the doors of my mind night after night since i was a child. it was the sort of dreams all girls dream, i suppose- a dream of mysterious worlds and hidden doorways, of leaves that breathe and make music when they are rustled in the wind, and river that bubbles and froth with secrets.”

Kailin Gow
“-the place where we store the true parts of our soul, away from the rest of the world.”

Kailin Gow
“the real world was only a dream, only an echo, and in silent moments throughtout the day it would hit me: i am not at home here.”

Kailin Gow
“The denizens of Feyland find the absence of magic to be quite funny. I mean no offense. ”
“None taken.”
“For example – In the Land Over the Crystal River (for that's how we refer to humans), there was once a man and a woman. And the man was in love with the woman, and wanted her for himself. But because he had no magic, he couldn't feel whether or not there was a “pull” towards her or not, so he didn't know whether she loved him or not. So what did he do?”
“What?”
“He had to ASK her!” Kian couldn't help laughing.
“I don't get it!”
“Ask her!” said Kian. “It's funny – because he didn't have magic.” His laughter grew louder and less controlled, tinkling like bells in the winter snow. “He had to ask her!”
I realized that there were some cultural barriers Kian and I might never transcend.”
Kailin Gow, Bitter Frost

Christie my friend has been throwing this book at me lol, so im finally reading and i have to say the first 2 pages are beautifully written, im already in love with it. i do have to say you put your soul into this because it shows.
the words, i mean it just lines up. *sigh* its sooo good!

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Scott I have to use an old expression "You go Girl!"

message 3: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers) Such strenth behind them words! I beleive in them too!

Aiman This is the best faerie series ever!

Swati I really liked Bitter Frost. The story was simple but still made an impact. I am looking forward to reading the next.

Kailin Swati wrote: "I really liked Bitter Frost. The story was simple but still made an impact. I am looking forward to reading the next."

Thank you so much! <3 <3 <3!