Meredith's Reviews > Seven Types of Ambiguity

Seven Types of Ambiguity by Elliot Perlman

Jun 12, 10

bookshelves: australia, psychology, literary-criticism, favorites, judaism, holocaust, reviewed, library
Read in June, 2010, read count: Not enough.

I'm not worthy of reviewing a book like this. Really. Seven Types of Ambiguity is huge, both physically and contextually.

Read this book if:

--You like Rashomon-like explorations of the subjective nature of truth.
--You like overlapping narratives that do more to obfuscate a given event than illuminate it.
--Deep characterization is your bag.
--You have ever harbored even a passing interest in critical theory.
--You love Billie Holliday.
--You are are passionate about health care issues (this book explores Australia's shift to managed health care).

Do not read this book if:

--You like morally unambiguous characters who are always on their best behavior.
--You have a short attention span.
--You hate ambiguity (and, really, the title should tip you off there).
--You like concrete, "big-red-bow" endings.

What else can I say, really?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Types of Ambiguity.

06/09/2010 page 100
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meredith "'You can believe what you want to believe'" (319). In one sentence, Dennis has summed up this strange, Rashomon-like treatise on the subjective nature of truth. I love it.

Meredith Another note: One conversation in this book becomes a pretty scathing indictment of Derrida and the deconstructionist school of literary criticism. This brings me back to critical theory class. If one of these characters can conjure up the same venom against structuralism (signify THIS, signifier and signified), I will be a happy reader.