Slayermel's Reviews > Kick-Ass

Kick-Ass by Mark Millar

Jul 15, 10

bookshelves: graphic-novels, own, 2010, 21st-century, favorites, made-into-film, male-authors, suspense, thriller, scottish
Recommended for: anyone who enjoys superhero stories & violence
Read on July 15, 2010, read count: 1

This has got to be one of my favourite stories now, not sure what that says about me, but WOW!

I loved the characters, I loved that they were flawed, the illustrations were graphic, violent and raw, combine that with the great story and I was left wanting more. I read it in one sitting; taking my time going over frame by frame worried I was going to miss some splendid detail.

David is a comic geek and can’t figure out why no one has ever tried to be a real life superhero. I mean all it would take is a costume and a will to save people right. Boy was he naive. David get’s beaten time and time again, but keeps picking himself back up, not giving up and goes out to try again. I found myself saying “Geez...enrol yourself in martial arts or something at least”. It turns out that there are a few people out there, wishing they were superheroes, and with David coming out as Kick-Ass it’s set the stage for others to follow, some are just more ruthless.

Hit-Girl and Big Daddy for instance. They are a Father, Daughter Team who are going after the Mob, and taking them out one by one.

I would recommend this story to anyone, but if your squeamish and don’t like blood or violence it’s probably not for you.

By the way loved that there was a little shout out to Joss Whedon and Buffy :0)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kick-Ass.