-k The Lady Critic's Reviews > Zombie Blondes

Zombie Blondes by Brian James

Jun 24, 10

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in June, 2010

Reading this book was like watching a really bad horror movie, which probably explains why I was so enthralled while reading it (I have a horrible passion for those really bad, low budget horror movies). I also couldn’t help but think of the first Goosebumps book Welcome to Dead House and the ‘90s Disturbing Behaviour movie starring Katie Holmes.

A lot of this book was predictable but the ending was a little off from what I thought it would be. I mean, there’s only so much that you can do with zombies, so there were only so many paths that this book could have taken.

The characters too were predictable but enjoyable. I liked Hannah, though at times I found her a little shallow in her want to be a pretty, popular cheerleader. I can see the appeal though, even if zombies didn’t enter into the equation. Who I really fell in love with was Lukas; he was so protective and watchful. All he wanted was for Hannah to escape the clutches of the zombies, but alas he was shoved aside for a hunky zombie jock.

Then there were the Blondes, a.k.a. the Cheerleading zombies. Other than Maggie, the queen bee, and Morgan, the mean girl, I could never keep them straight on who was who since all their names started with M and sounded the same. When Hannah was choosing her M name I hoped that she went with the Montana option… like Hannah Montana. The thought of that made me chuckle while reading.

I did enjoy the book though I wish that there had been more to it at the end. It was left open quite nicely for a sequel. I don’t know, I just wanted to know about what happened a little further in the future. Or, if there was an entire sequel, maybe is Hannah found a way to overcome the entire Zombie thing.

Overall, I’m giving this book a 6/10. I sped through it in a few hours and it was entertaining enough. I think that it would be a good book to read while on the beach or somewhere like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombie Blondes.