Sharon's Reviews > Beloved Savage

Beloved Savage by Sandra Bishop

Jun 11, 10

bookshelves: owned-books, american-indian, historical-western, reviewed
Read in June, 2010

Pennsylvania 1712

Solemn-eyed 14 year old Susannah, the serious one, the eldest daughter weighted with responsibility, her mother's helper, had no time to be frivolous or care-free as her 3 younger sisters...

2 years later, fever swept the land and took her parents and sisters. It was then the town's minister arranged that she marry the young German widower, Hans Jacobs and care for his little son.

Hans Jacobs, a cold man, a man she could never please although she never gave up hope in her current 8 years of marriage. I found absolutely NOTHING to like in Hans Jacobs. Blood thirsty that I can be, I was really looking forward to seeing Hans get his...

Tonnewa, an Algonquin warrior, was created as everything my fantasy can conjure in a warrior in those early years...to have such a captor...yessiree.

Yes, Susannah is taken in a raid, one in which Tonnewa wasn't involved in. But it didn't take long for him to come into the picture...thank goodness.

Well, the majority of the story revolves around Susannah and Tonnewa's realtionship. It is a very heart warming tale of 2 honorable people, including historical data, information of other tribes in the area and dealings with the British and French, and of course, the encroachment of the whites on the land.

This story is a 5 star read for me. I'm on a historical American Indian/Western binge right now, but I only read the ones written with a sense of realism.

There is tragedy in this story, but no dwelling on the mistreatment of Indians (maybe because of the early time frame, before the BIG rush of the whites),

Violence,
Captive theme,
American Indian,
Death,
some abuse,

Sandra Bishop is a gifted writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beloved Savage.