Emily's Reviews > Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!

Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! by Candace Fleming

Jun 05, 10

bookshelves: picture-books
Read in June, 2010

This book is delightful. I give it five stars because of its delicious language play, the perfect pictures, and the important, though open-to-interpreation, message. I especially like Mr. McGreeley (clearly a version of Mr. McGregor) and the clothes and mischievous faces on the three munching bunnies. I've been thinking a lot about food, culture, sustainability, and ownership lately, so I may have overread this book. Here are three points or questions that came to me during and after reading:
1. Is food, needed for survival, something that can or should be owned?
2. This book can be read negatively by utilitarians - "the nonproductive in socieity will always 'get theirs' in the end"
3. I can read it even as a call to action by those trying to protect the land and resources (that they stole or killed for in the first place): instead of defending our resources, as Mr. McGreeley does and which clearly does no good, we need to act offensively and kill all of the lazy/foreigners/different people we come across.
/end rant
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!.