Sandy Williams's Reviews > Courageous

Courageous by Jack Campbell

Jun 05, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction-romance, 2009
Read in March, 2009

This book is just as excellent as the first two, but I docked it a star because it's becoming a little tedious to read. The space battles with all the "degree this" and "degree that" and "at time this" and "at time that" are cool, but they're getting old and I'm finding myself skimming through those sections, just looking for plot pieces or something out of the ordinary.

I must admit that my heart rate went up a bit while the fleet was in the Lakota System. I had know clue how Geary was going to get them out of that, but like his crew and (some) of his officers, I had faith he'd find a way.

There were some very interesting developments at the end of the book with the aliens, the hypernet gate, and then Geary's last minute decision to turn around. I want to dive right into the next book to see what happens, but at the same time, I'm a *little* tired of reading some of the sections (see above). I want the plot condensed more. I want to unravel the alien mystery, see if this war is ever going to end, and I want the fleet to get home.

I think there's going to be a total of six books in this series. I have the fourth one I can't start reading if I want to, the fifth is going to be published next month, and the sixth one maybe some time in the next year. I'm guessing the sixth is the last since it's called Victorious. I'm really hoping we get full closure in that book. I want to know what Geary's life is going to be like when he returns to the Alliance. I want to know how the others will view him, how the Alliance will change or not change, etc. I'm worried the author will end the book with the fleet returning and we won't get any of that.

This series still maintains the feel of Battlestar Galactica's first season: trying to stay one step ahead of the enemy by fleeing from system to system. It has just enough plot developments to keep me turning the pages, and the author does an excellent job of making me emotionally invested in the fate of the fleet.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courageous.