Sandy Williams's Reviews > The Spymaster's Lady

The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne

Jun 05, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance, 2009
Read in May, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Loved the heroine in this story. She was strong and independent, but she still felt authentic for this time period. Every now and then she chatted on. Usually, I'd get annoyed very quickly with that, but she was witty and entertaining.

I also liked the glimpse of French culture. This is set during the time of Napolean, and since I'm just now starting to read historical romance, it's the first book that talks about the French Revolution and Bonaparte. I'm interested in reading other books that are more immersed in that time period.

The hero was just okay to me. I didn't realize that until I was thinking about what to write about him. I think Annique really made me enjoy the story, not Grey. Hmm. It's usually the other way around: I like the hero better than the heroine.

One thing about the story line / pacing that bothered me was how quickly Annique developed feelings for Robert. Kind of cheapened how the felt about Grey. On the other hand, I thought it was a really cool twist when she didn't recognize Grey. Oh, and I was totally surprised when I learned Annique was blind. I'd been thinking the world was really dark and she moved around well in it, but it just didn't occur to me that she couldn't see.

I waivered between 4 and 5 stars on this one. I gave it 5 because I think I'm starting to judge hist rom more critically, and really, this book was just as good as Scandal (Carolyn Jewel) and Lord of Shadows (Meredith Duran) IMO.

Oh, and almost forgot the thing I hated most about this book. I so could have done without the chapters from Lamont's POV (I think that's his name.) I got that he was a really bad guy without having to get inside his head. Toward the end, I started skipping his chapters and I didn't feel like I missed out on a thing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spymaster's Lady.