Sandy Williams's Reviews > Beyond the Shadows

Beyond the Shadows by Brent Weeks

Jun 05, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, 2010
Read in February, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Compared to the second book, this one is all ponies and rainbows.

SPOILERS BELOW! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE ANY INTENTION OF PICKING UP THIS SERIES (AND YOU ***SHOULD*** PICK UP THIS SERIES)

I probably should give this book three stars because there were things that I did not like about it. It didn't grip me as emotionally as the first two books, and the things that I loved about the first books (the awesome assassinations, the tragedy, all the wetboy stuff) was absent. This book was VERY different, just a set up for the final battle, I guess.

Which is fine. And I kind of liked the way it ended. I think. Everyone I wanted to survive survives, but I wasn't as satisfied as I thought I would be by it. Logan get his wife back. I wanted that so badly, but when they're reunited, I was left with a feeling of... just acceptance. It wasn't emotionally gripping, and it should have been. I'm not sure why it wasn't. Maybe because I was very sad that Jenine hooked up with Dorian? Maybe because nothing bad really happened to her, and I didn't feel Logan's relief? I mean, I had tears in my eyes in the second book when Kylar rescued Logan from the hole. I *felt* that reunion. I didn't feel this reunion.

I hated the Chantry. Hated it. And Vi started out as such an awesome character. I didn't like her at first, but then she grew on me, made me laugh, did some awesome stunts, and then she joined the sisters. I felt like I was reading about Nynaeve and the Aes Sedai (Robert Jordan's characters; my spelling might be off). Vi was cool, but as soon as she went to the Chantry, she became she another stereotypical, albeit superpowerful, female character. Blah.

My biggest WTF moment came in the final battle. Kylar killed the Titan, was lying there dying, and then all the sudden Durzo flies in - literally FLIES in - and saves his ass. I rolled my eyes. It was freaking stupid in my opinion. There's no reason for him to need to fly anywhere. I mean, why learn all that cool assassin shit from the first book if you can do whatever the hell you want, even fly in to save the day. Totally unnecessary.

Elene. I started hating her in... oh it was probably the end of the first book. I despised her the entire second book. She kept Kylar from being awesome. I just wanted her to shut up and go away. Unfortuantely, Kylar was totally in love with the girl. I knew some big tragedy was going to be involved with her. I kind of wish it had come sooner just to get rid of her. I know. I'm horrible. Elena made Kylar a better person, she was a good soul, yadda, yadda, yadda, but I didn't read this trilogy for the warm fuzzy feelings; I read it for the kick ass assination stuff. And the political intrigue. And the awesome magic. And the tragedy. And the great characters, great characters which somehow came off less great in the third book.

Yeah. I probably should have given this three stars, but the first books were too great to let this one bring the series down, and it was an okay ending to the story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond the Shadows.