Ellz Readz's Reviews > Guardian of the Dead

Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey

Jun 05, 2010

Read in May, 2010

My thoughts...Guardian Of The Dead is a fast paced, edge of your seat YA thriller. It is packed with suspense, folklore, and mythological creatures.

The story, which takes place in New Zealand, begins with the heroine Ellie, attending boarding school. She is a strong character with imperfections. Ellie is not your typical drop dead ggorgeous, rail thin heroine. She is a bit conscious of her weight, but she is very talented in the martial arts. The other characters served their purpose in building the story, but they did not make a big impression on me.

The plot moved at a steady pace. The action is built around the Maori legends of New Zealand. It was very interesting, but it seemed to be explained in large chunks and I got a bit confused at times. The good thing is you do not have to completely understand the stories to keep up with the plot. Enough information was presented for me to figure out who was good and evil. I did not realize, until I finished the book, that there was a glossary in the back. This would have been helpful in understanding the legends of the Maori. This book did a great job of setting up for future installments. The world is complex, imaginative, and a bit creepy. Overall, I enjoyed Guardian Of The Dead and I will be watching for more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian of the Dead.