Alea's Reviews > All I Ever Wanted

All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins

Jul 11, 2010

bookshelves: bea10

Oooh this book, this book made me burst out laughing on a regular occasion and also had me tearing up at one point. It was everything. You couldn’t ask for a funnier narrator than Callie, days later I’m still thinking about some of the things she said, what a voice!

While this book is classified as Romance it falls right into Chick Lit category for me. People tell me the difference between Chick Lit and Romance is that in Romance, the relationship between the main character and the potential love interest takes center stage and I agree with that, except for that’s not what All I Ever Wanted is like. It’s so well rounded, yes, the relationship is there but there is also a great multiple family and friends storylines, job storyline (yay advertising agency- i loved those passages) and a whole bunch of other things. That well rounded-ness is something that was missing for me in other contemporary romances, but this one hit it right on the head for me, a perfect balance.

I felt like this book was written for me, it's not everyday a book takes place in an ad agency and involves a sad and hilarious scene with a turkey. Yes, I have a turkey obsession, live turkeys that is. And the relationship between Callie and Ian is so great, at first glance they hate each other and slowly they begin to tolerate each other, become friends, lean on each other and you can see where it goes from there.

Overall this is my favorite contemporary romance of the handful I've read and I cannot wait to read more of Higgins'a work! I hear Catch of the Day is a great second stop!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All I Ever Wanted.

Lisa Oh I think I need to add this one. I love books that show what people do for a living like that. I keep meaning to read a Higgins anyway.

Alea I just adored it! I hope you do too!