Becky's Reviews > Hurt Go Happy: A Novel

bookshelves: 2010, classics, highly-recommended, reviewed, tear-jerkers
Recommended to Becky by: Kellee
Recommended for: Everyone
Read from June 23 to 24, 2010

In one of the Goodreads groups I’m in, we do a bookmark swap with other members. For one of the rounds, we each chose three favorite books for the bookmark maker to choose from. The person that was chosen as my recipient, Kellee, chose “The Giver” by Lois Lowry, “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins, and “Hurt Go Happy” by Ginny Rorby. I’d read the other two books, and as much as I love them both, decided against using them as they are both so popular and well-known. “Hurt Go Happy” on the other hand, I’d never even heard of, and the premise interested me, so I decided to use it, sight-unseen. I read a preview chapter on B&N.com and when that was AMAZING, I ordered a copy.

Thirteen year old Joey is almost completely deaf and struggles to read lips in a world of hearing people because her mother refuses to allow her to learn sign language. Her mother is full of excuses, everything from “It’ll make you lazy so that you won’t be able to read lips to understand people who can’t sign,” to “It’ll show everyone that you’re disabled and they’ll pity you.” So, needless to say, Joey is isolated and largely ignored by people who aren’t able to communicate with her, until she meets Charlie, an elderly man who lives nearby and his chimpanzee, Sukari. This chance meeting changes all of their lives.

All I can say is “Wow”. If you know me at all, you know that I love a gut-wrenching story, one that breaks your heart and hollows you out. This book did all that and more. This book made me something of an emotional train-wreck. I feel like I need a thesaurus to even correctly assign my emotional states. I couldn’t breathe through the last half of this book, and I could barely even see. I can’t remember ever having cried so much during a book as I did with this one, but I didn’t feel manipulated or that Ginny Rorby was playing with my emotions. Rather I felt that she took this story, and all that it represents, incredibly seriously and portrayed it as honestly as possible. The fact that it crushed my soul is inevitable, because both subjects in the book are ones that nudge my overactive empathy gland into the mass-production red-zone. I’m an animal lover, and protector of small and defenseless things of all kinds, and so the events that occurred in this book were painful. I’m not deaf, but in her love for Sukari, I identified with Joey to the point where what happened to her felt like it was happening to me. And it felt incredibly real.

Whew. OK. Picking this back up later. I wrote all of that on June 24th, but I couldn’t stop being a weeping mess, so I set it aside. I couldn’t post it until Kellee’d received her bookmark anyway, which was definitely a good thing because it gave me a chance to put a little distance between this story and my heart, even though all I wanted was to rush in to talk to her about it, because it had affected me so strongly.

I don’t want to talk about the story itself in this review, although I will say that it is one that made me both proud and ashamed of being human. Proud because we have the capacity for learning and growth and empathy and understanding one another, but ashamed because we don’t use it, and worse, we exploit anything and anyone to reach an end. And regardless of how supposedly noble that end is, exploitation to reach that end is wrong. Horribly. I want everyone to read this book. It’s incredibly important. I know that many of you will read this review and say to yourselves, “Why on earth would I want to read that? She said it CRUSHED HER SOUL! O_O” but sometimes we need to have our souls crushed so that we can rebuild them better and containing more caring, compassion, and understanding than they had before.

That’s all I’m saying. Read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hurt Go Happy.

03/09 marked as: read

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I started reading this two years ago, but gave up. Maybe I'll try again sometime :-)

message 2: by Taylor (new) - added it

Taylor Mcinnis that is totally what it did to me when i read it the first time, am now re-reading it so i can rebuild my soul even better then the second time

Becky Taylor wrote: "that is totally what it did to me when i read it the first time, am now re-reading it so i can rebuild my soul even better then the second time"

I don't know if I could do a re-read of this one. I loved it, but knowing the story now, oh man, I don't think I would be able to keep it together long enough to start. Even just re-reading my review was hard because I remember that soul-crushed feeling perfectly.

message 4: by Taylor (new) - added it

Taylor Mcinnis Becky wrote: "Taylor wrote: "that is totally what it did to me when i read it the first time, am now re-reading it so i can rebuild my soul even better then the second time"

I don't know if I could do a re-..."

yes , it's very hard to stand but i ran out of books to read and i can't drive yet so i've just finished my 4th reading of that sad, sad book. good book though

Sarah I got it at a book fair in 3rd grade because I like the cover. Didn't read it until 5th grade, am I ever so glad it caught my eye. I agree with you totally on the soul crushing part. It was a wake up call more than anything else, and a testament to Joey's bravery. She's a very strong character, not flimsy like many mainstream fiction girls are.

Laura I am reading it.So far I have loved it I am only on page 130 but I sure that I will love it as much as you did.