Kate's Reviews > The Road from Coorain

The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway

Jun 05, 10

Read in March, 1993

I am reviwing this book now because I just came across it on another list and it bought back to mind a wonderful experience that I was blessed to have.... This book set in motion a whole series of events that meant I was able to visit the original homestead. It is a stunning story of fortitude, perseverance and an ability to get the best out a really harsh reality.

This book was recommended to me by my Brother (he lives in New York). I was reading it on a camping/tramping holiday in the South Island of New Zealand. Whilst sitting reading said book in a laundry at Franz Joseph Glacier. Keeping an eye on a very wet sleeping bag which was in a dryer due to torrential rain overnight - somewhat different to what the protagonist was experiencing in the Australian outback. Another camper with the same moisture issues, asked me what I thought of the book...I was enthused and very verbose about the whole thing. It was difficult to fathom the hostility of the environment and the sheer distance from others. The camper turned out to be the stock agent to the very farm I was reading about!

Over the coming weeks of moving up the Island my Husband and I kept meeting up with this couple, in the end they came an stayed at our place in Auckland for a few days. Subsequently we visited them in an Australian town called Hay (a long way from anywhere) it had not had any rain for 6 years!!. Truly a remarkable experience, this is how I got to see Corain. The environment is every bit as ghastly as described - but also has a particular beauty that is rather unsettling.

I recommend this book to as many as possible; Jill Ker Conway triumphed in so many ways that many from privileged and pampered backgrounds do not even come close - yet they should.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road from Coorain.