Mel's Reviews > Marked

Marked by P.C. Cast
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
3830243
's review
Nov 01, 10

bookshelves: couldn-t-finish, hated-with-all-of-my-hate, 1-books, vampires-and-wannabe-vamps, bad-romance, masochistastic, young-adult
Recommended to Mel by: The masochist in me
Recommended for: No one

This was how the book started. The first two pages literally went like this:

Tweeny 1: "ZOMG like -insert some teeny bs gossip here-"

Tweeny 2: "ZOMG like no! -more teeny gossip and more OMGs-"

Tweeny 1: "ZOMG like yeah."

All of a sudden some macho vamp guy stands in the hallway, points at teeny no #1 and is like "ZOEY YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN TO BE THE MAIN CHARACTER IN A BOOK THAT IS SO NOT TRYING TO BE LIKE TWILIGHT BUT YEAH YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN."

Then they're like "ZOMG YOU HAVE BEEN CHOSEN."

Tweeny 1: "SNAP. I have been chosen."

Tweeny 2: "SNAP AND ZOMG YOU'RE A FREAK NOW I'M OUT OF HERE."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how the worst book I have ever read starts off. Worse than Twilight, worse than Hush, hush, and worse than Evermore (almost). This book was just one big melodramatic teen angsty bitch fit. With vampyres. And stereotypes. And a sexy hunk. And a Queen Bee arch rival. And a blowjob. And of course the main character is a complete Mary sue, once again.

I first read this just as a laugh, because sometimes I want to read bad books for the lolz. But what was at first fun to make fun of then turned horrifically bad, and eventually so intolerable that I had to close it halfway. As soon as Zoey was in love with Shakespeare vampire hunk, (sorry, vampYre) I just couldn't handle further stupidity. I could not believe this was written by two adults. This was like fanfiction. I have seen fanfiction which went along pretty much the same basis as this book. Heck I have seen fanfiction which was BETTER WRITTEN and BETTER OVERALL than this book.

Zoey was absolutely frustrating and so easy to hate. That's horridly inconvenient since she's the main character, and we're being told this 'story' from her perspective. She whines and complains about EVERYTHING, and is an obvious attempt at a parody of a teenager by these two idiots of women authors. A pin would fall to the ground and immediately her life is oooooverrrrrr. Also according to Zoey, if you don't nail your underwear and your bra to your body and if you don't remain virginal in any way shape or form, whether it's kissing a guy or wearing a certain amount of make up or style of clothing, you're a total slut. Woooow. Zo, just because you're a goddamn prude it doesn't mean everyone else should be, and you shouldn't try to lecture your female readers on their sexuality. Just because you're ashamed of sexuality, it doesn't mean that's a good thing because you happened to be a main character. Also it's pretty obvious you're jealous you yourself can't be that proud.

Zoey's friends were all painful stereotypes. Especially her girl friend... what's her name again... I don't know. My mind shut her out because she was too damn annoying. Oh wait... Steve or something. -coughs- anyway, yeah. That chick was an obvious out there comic-relief and completely uncalled for. Every time she said anything I wanted to punch her. I didn't care much for her gay friend either. He was just a cliched gay. And no, I don't have anything against homosexuals. That would be awfully hypocritical since I'm a very out of the closet homosexual myself. But this guy was boring and cliched.
Then there's the queen Bee arch rival. -yawn- Oh here's something I haven't seen before... Oh and Zoey falls in love with some vampire guy after he reads a speech from Shakespeare in his sexy vampire hunk voice. So within two seconds, Zoey is in love. True love, yada yada, he's the one, he's so hot, all her friends support her love, bla bla bla, gush gush gush. Then I closed the book.

What a piece of overrated, stinky, shitty tripe. The writing was ridiculous, all the characters were boring and annoying and cliched to death, and the overall plot was pulled out of both authors nailed shut asshole. It was ridiculous. The whole book was bloody ridiculous. What on earth was I reading? -shudder- I can't believe this book was published, let alone so well received. And don't give me that 'it's an amazing booooooook and you're just jealooooousssss' crap. Please. It's an awful excuse for a book and I would rather watch 2 girls 1 cup again (from the beginning to the end this time) than have Marked by P.C Crap and Kristin Crap sitting on my shelf.
125 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marked.
sign in »

Comments (showing 1-50 of 59) (59 new)


message 1: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Wow, this is never getting read. I heard it was bad but this makes Vampire Academy seem like Dracula.


Amanda I agree. This book was horrible. I forced myself to finish it and vowed never to continue with the rest of the series. It was just...really bad :/


message 3: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel @Cory: Really, don't bother with it. Ever. Don't even read the first page. It's horribly, horribly bad. Horribly written, horribly shallow, horribly... horrible. You're right, it makes Vampire Academy look like Dracula, heck even Vampire Chronicles by comparison. And that's sad.

@Amanda: I had to force myself to even get halfway before I couldn't go on any further. I am never going to pick up the rest of the series either. All I know is that the series just sounds like it gets dumber and Zoey becomes more and more of a hypocrite, apparently having a zillion boyfriends at once, and even has an affair with a teacher. Yeah, this is the girl preaching her prudishness in the first book. Bravo.


Melissa I read the entire series. It was not good, I really wanted it to get better because everyone told me it was fantastic, the next twilight..which had me almost thumbing it down upon contact. SO by the time I got to the 3 or 4 boyfriends issue, plus having some sort of relationship with a teacher. I could barely keep going. Worse then twilight in my opinion :)


message 5: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Melissa wrote: "I read the entire series. It was not good, I really wanted it to get better because everyone told me it was fantastic, the next twilight..which had me almost thumbing it down upon contact. SO by t..."

It certainly is the next Twilight. It's ten times worse and severely overrated.

I do hope that no girl will ever use the House of night series as the principle rules to base their lives and love lives on like some did with Twilight.


message 6: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory The sick thing is that this is written by a girl and her mother.


message 7: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Cory wrote: "The sick thing is that this is written by a girl and her mother."

And both are complete idiots. I hope that Kristin Cast never has a kid.


message 8: by Soph (new) - rated it 1 star

Soph Hehe, Your review made me laugh, but only because it is so true! You really put in to detail all the little parts i forgot were totally awful. Thank you for your review, it has reminded me not to read this book again.


message 9: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Soph wrote: "Hehe, Your review made me laugh, but only because it is so true! You really put in to detail all the little parts i forgot were totally awful. Thank you for your review, it has reminded me not to r..."

Lol I'm glad you enjoyed it!


Sarahm AMEN!!! I couldn't even get through this book. A couple of my friends are reading the series and love it, and I kind of want to go up to them and ask "WHY?!"


Sarahm Cory wrote: "The sick thing is that this is written by a girl and her mother."

Yes. And neither apparently knows what it's like to actually be a teenager. I, a teenaged girl, take this book as an insult to my age group. >:(


message 12: by Eve (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eve Davids LMAO, LMFAO, LMFBAO!!Awesome review.


Brix Dominic I love your review. I found myself laughing because of the truth! This one was horrible. I wouldn't let my friends read this crap. I don't want them to be like Zoey.


Brix Dominic And yes. From what I've read, Zoey has 3 or more boyfriends during her stay in THON? Gosh.


message 15: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Ariadne wrote: "I love your review. I found myself laughing because of the truth! This one was horrible. I wouldn't let my friends read this crap. I don't want them to be like Zoey."

I think friends don't let friends read House of night.


message 16: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Ariadne wrote: "And yes. From what I've read, Zoey has 3 or more boyfriends during her stay in THON? Gosh."

And one of them is her teacher. And guess what, her boyfriend, Eric, catches her sleeping with said teacher. And she gets upset because Eric doesn't immediately forgive her.


message 17: by Millie (last edited Jan 06, 2011 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Millie Mel wrote: "Cory wrote: "The sick thing is that this is written by a girl and her mother."

And both are complete idiots. I hope that Kristin Cast never has a kid."


This is just a horrible thing to say! How can you wish someone that? So what they wrote the book together? It turned out to be a best seller...
If you don't like the book, that's fine, but there is no reason for you to wish bad for the authors.


message 18: by Cory (last edited Jan 06, 2011 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Millie Wrote: This is just a horrible thing to say! How can you wish someone that? So what they wrote the book together? It turned out to be a best seller...
If you don't like the book, that's fine, but there is no reason for you to wish bad for the authors.


Kristen Cast believes sleeping around and cheating on your loving boyfriend with your teacher is a good thing that you shouldn't be blamed for. Not good mother material there. Mel never wished for them to die, although I wish they'd stop writing. Do you think that sort of person should raise a kid? Sylvia Plath is brilliant, but do you think she should have had a kid before she committed suicide? Often what we write about and the morals we leave says a little something about our character.

And honestly, I agree with Mel. Kristen Cast shouldn't have a kid if she thinks the morals she left in the House of Night series are good. A cheating, adulterous household isn't good for raising a kid in -- unless you disagree.


message 19: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Millie wrote: "Mel wrote: "Cory wrote: "The sick thing is that this is written by a girl and her mother."

And both are complete idiots. I hope that Kristin Cast never has a kid."

This is just a horrible thing t..."


Well at least you accepted that I didn't like the book. But the reason I said that about hoping Kristin Cast never has kids is because, it's obvious P.C Cast isn't that bright herself, with her fucked up rules she seems to believe are right for teenagers. And Kristin Cast seems to believe the exact same thing. You can tell a lot about an author by their books. Not their exact personality per say, but more so their beliefs. And Marked may as well be a blog about both author's beliefs about teenagers. And I mean come on, who has the right to consider someone a slut just because they kissed a boy they like and who likes them back? Who has the right to consider someone a slut in the first place? And as Cory already said, both Kristin and P.C Cast seem to think at the same time it's fine to cheat around with your two already existing boyfriends and add a teacher into the mix. Seriously, what kind of a mother would Kristin be? I think there is already enough dumb in that family judging by both authors similarities. Oh and just a disclaimer: I never wished death upon Kristin's kid, I just wish for it to never have to be born from that crazy lady.

Also being a bestseller doesn't mean squat anymore. It doesn't mean the book is actually good, it means enough teenage girls bought it. It's just about sales, not actual quality.


Millie Maybe you're right, but how she writes the book doesn't suggest she's like that herself, maybe she's just trying to make the book seem more interested for teenagers? I don't know. It doesn't tell teenager girls to sleep with teachers.
I'm not fighting here with anyone, I'm just trying to say that there is no reason for you to wish for her not to have kids.
Of course everyone has different opinions,and I'm fine with yours.


message 21: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Millie wrote: "Maybe you're right, but how she writes the book doesn't suggest she's like that herself, maybe she's just trying to make the book seem more interested for teenagers? I don't know. It doesn't tell t..."

I see your point. Lol I know you're not trying to fight anyone. I pretty much already explained why I think it would be bad if Kristin Cast did have kids, but if you think I'm wrong that's completely okay.


message 22: by Jane (new)

Jane I'm with you on this one - possibly the biggest load of bollocks I have read in many, many years.


Robotgirl33 DeShong This book is awesome. If you want shit, check out twilight. they suck. this is muuuch much better.


message 24: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Robotgirl33 wrote: "This book is awesome. If you want shit, check out twilight. they suck. this is muuuch much better."

I agree Twilight is shit. Unfortunately I read it. -shudder- I didn't like Marked either, but it's fine if you think it's awesome.


Robotgirl33 DeShong :) thanks. They get better as they go along


Emily this review sucked all hte books she named i love


message 27: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Emily wrote: "this review sucked all hte books she named i love"

English Emily. Perhaps you should learn to speak it. And perhaps you should write your own review.

@Mel: You got the troll you were looking for.


message 28: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Emily wrote: "this review sucked all hte books she named i love"

YES!! MY FIRST TROLL!! Thank you Emily! Thank you sooo much!! =D


message 29: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Cory wrote: "Mel: You got the troll you wer..."

THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVER.


Rachel Legere Good books. Get over it. If you don't think it sounds good, don't bother picking it up, if for some reason you decide to.. well then. Your own fault for reading a book you didn't like. Don't complain and troll on the book or the authors because of your own personal tastes.


message 31: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory Rachel wrote: "Good books. Get over it. If you don't think it sounds good, don't bother picking it up, if for some reason you decide to.. well then. Your own fault for reading a book you didn't like. Don't compla..."

You know, I'm not usually mean about these things, but shouldn't you take your own advice? But you can you expect from someone who's added Lauren Kate and Stephanie Meyer as their favorite authors?

Mel, you have an intelligent troll. You're on a roll.


Rachel Legere I never said anything about the author or the writing or the values in this book unlike yourself or other people in this thread. So stop attempting to insult myself now just because you don't like the books that I read. Thanks.


Amanda Mel might have an intelligent troll, but she seems to be the only one with intelligence...re-read your post. You don't even make sense.."but you can you expect"???


message 34: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Wow another troll! I'm getting quite popular!

Okay, first of all, Rachel, darling, you're a hypocrite. You come on here to bitch at me for not liking the books you like, ON A REVIEW THAT HAS NOTHING NICE TO SAY ABOUT THE BOOKS YOU LIKE. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. You've pretty much set yourself up for the same disappointment. You knew this review was going to make you angry, and yet you still read it, got angry and dared to bitch at me for it.

I'm not trolling, I'm stating an opinion that just happens to oppose yours. Oh and ever hear about the freedom of speech? Big words aren't they?
Do you honestly expect everyone to like this book? And if they don't, they should burn in hell? They're losers? They suck, etc? This is a book, not a freaking cult. And there is no one universal opinion. People can like something and people can hate something. That's just something you're going to have to live with. I have a right to bitch about this book if I hate it, and I have a right to read something even if I know I wont like it. Have you never heard of people who read bad books just for laughs? I myself do it for the lulz.

I don't care if you love this book. Heck, by all means, love it to bits. Have a party on how much it rocks. But don't you dare come on here and bitch at me for hating this book. How about you instead save yourself the anger and join some group that gushes over this book as much as you do?

Grow up, and learn some goddamn sentence structure.


message 35: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Amanda wrote: "Mel might have an intelligent troll, but she seems to be the only one with intelligence...re-read your post. You don't even make sense.."but you can you expect"???"

Ah, a typo. Well other than that, Cory's post makes perfect sense. Maybe you should have re-read it.


Rachel Legere Firstly, lovely Mel. I wasn't even talking about your post in total, I was mostly talking about all the comments on here stating things about the authors and how they shouldn't even have children and they are practically horrible that shouldn't ever have picked up a pen and paper in their lives.
Also, I didn't "bitch" at you or really anyone else on here, just simply stated that if you don't like the book then don't read it.
I never said either that everyone should like this book or that anyone who doesn't is going to hell, or suck, or are losers as you stated. but whatever. say what you like. All you did was make yourself sound like more of a bitch on here than me. All I did was state MY OPINION!! (RIGHT? FREEDOM OF SPEECH??) and get bitched out hardcore for it.

Ps. sorry, I didn't realize that I was being graded on my grammar and sentence structure.


Rachel Legere I enjoyed the books, my opinion, this thread didn't make me angry at all. I just didn't agree with about 98% of everything said in it.


message 38: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Oh sure, because you totally addressed that in your first post. Yep. Okay. Good one. -cough-

No, what you said was 'IT'S A GOOD BOOK IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT READ IT YOU'RE JUST TROLLING THE BOOKS AND THE AUTHOR!!!11!'

And yes, you did bitch. In fact, you're still bitching. No, you didn't say word for word 'if you don't like the book you suck', but your words pretty much meant the same thing. I don't care if you don't agree with me. You don't have to. You can love this book to death for all I care. That's your opinion. But you still came here and flamed me for not agreeing with your opinion, and you called my negative review trolling. And yes, I am being a bitch back to you, because you came here and decided to be a bitch yourself.

Now you can either continue making stupid comments, or make yourself useful and go elsewhere to read a review that you actually agree with. Frankly all you're doing on here is continuing to make yourself look like a silly hypocrite.


message 39: by Cory (new) - rated it 1 star

Cory She should join the trolls on Tatiana's thread for Shiver. At least I can understand why they'd like that book. This? I have no idea why.

You could have stated that you liked the book and that you didn't agree with the review in a civil manner. But no, it always comes down to this, doesn't it?

And for the record, I commented on your choice of authors because Lauren Kate and Stephenie Meyer aren't the best writers out there. It would make sense that someone who liked them would like House of Night. Of course, I don't expect all HON fans to take such offense. Suck it up. You came here to complain. No one came to you.


message 40: by Mel (last edited Feb 17, 2011 08:31PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Cory wrote: "She should join the trolls on Tatiana's thread for Shiver. At least I can understand why they'd like that book. This? I have no idea why.

You could have stated that you liked the book and that you..."


THANK YOU!!

And one last thing Rachel, I don't care if you love the book and love the authors. I never bitched at you for liking either of them. If you think that the book is good and that the authors are great, go ahead. That's your opinion.
My opinion is that the book is a piece of shit, and both the authors are atrociously stupid people. That's my opinion.
The difference between you and me is that I didn't attack you because your opinion opposes mine. That's what you did.


Rachel Legere mon dieu. I wasn't attacking anyone, I stated my opinion on this book and this review. I am done with this arguing, it is kinda pointless.

I must say one positive thing about the actual review written here by Mel, and it was what actually made me read this whole review, which was the opening to this review. It is totally correct and I agree that the beginning of this book was slightly ridiculous and the way you set it up made me laugh.

Anyway, have a lovely night all.
Tootles


message 42: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Lol whatever you say Rachel. Whatever you say.
Thanks for the praise though.


message 43: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Mel, you are fabulous. Cola came out of my nose when I read this review, and though my septum is still burning, I applaud you.

Also--you have just hit my Best Troll Whippers list. Expect your toucan in the mail shortly.

Warning: he may bite.

And he likes granola.


message 44: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Lol Hannah, thank you very much! I am truly honored that you consider me worthy to be on your Best troll whippers list XD. I obviously did pretty well for my first troll whippings. And OHMYFUCKINGGODYAY I GET A TOUCAN??? YAYYYYY!! I'm gonna love it, and feed it, and play with it, and I shall call it... FIRE STARTER!!


message 45: by Hira (new)

Hira I was planning to give this book a try but you saved me from reading another crapy book very much like Twilight.Loved you review.


message 46: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Hira wrote: "I was planning to give this book a try but you saved me from reading another crapy book very much like Twilight.Loved you review."

Thank you! But trust me, this book is worse than Twilight. MUCH worse.


message 47: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Smith I kind of want to read this book just to see if it lives up to this review! You know? Could it be so bad that it is automatically amusing?!


message 48: by Mel (last edited Mar 18, 2011 04:48PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Lucy wrote: "I kind of want to read this book just to see if it lives up to this review! You know? Could it be so bad that it is automatically amusing?!"

That depends on you really. I mean some people who hated it thought it was funny as hell because of how bad it was. For me it was funny at first, then it turned unbearably bad. But by all means, try it out, if you dare. O.O


message 49: by Kira (new) - rated it 1 star

Kira Yeah, Ducky, I felt the same. I took this shit out of the library and it started off being so bad I found it amusing, but then it just got too offensive and I had to give up.

I think I stopped a couple chapters after the Casts pronounced that people with eating disorders are freaks. That kind of did it, you know?


message 50: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel Kira wrote: "Yeah, Ducky, I felt the same. I took this shit out of the library and it started off being so bad I found it amusing, but then it just got too offensive and I had to give up.

I think I stopped a ..."


I stopped after Zoey fell in love with the guy who reads Shakespeare like a boss.


« previous 1
back to top