ElaineY's Reviews > The Best Man

The Best Man by L.A. Witt

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, mm
Read in June, 2010

Note: one star is for my not finishing it. My comments are posted in the comments box.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY Bought this with much uncertainty as I'm afraid it'll turn out like 9 Tenths of the Law where I ended up disliking one of the protags so much I couldn't believe in an HEA. Hope this book fares better.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

what didn't you like with this one?

message 3: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY This is one book where I didn't "get" it right from the start and it prevented me from reading further.

The two main scenes - Craig inviting Jon to be the best man and Jon's one-night stand with Liam were over-written for me. The way it was told just didn't "fit" for me. Even if Craig turns out to be a psycho, the first chapter pulled me out of the story too much as I kept wondering why Craig would worry that much about Jon's response and why would Jon be so dumb as to accept the request if he was still so emotionally raw by the break-up.

As for Jon's one-night stand - way too much talking between two strangers who just wanted a fuck. It didn't ring true. I'd rather they did what was natural - fuck their brains out and get out of there, wherever 'there' is. They can chitchat, bear their souls, rob a bank together tomorrow or next week. Or even five years later.

Just not right now. This is a one-night stand. It felt all wrong, the talking.

Conclusion: L A Witt has plots that interest me but her writing style her characters don't agree with me.

message 4: by ElaineY (new) - added it

ElaineY Kate wrote: "what didn't you like with this one?"

Our posts must have crossed. Anyway, just FYI, when I give one star for books I did not finish, I post my comments and reason for not finishing here, in the Comments box. This is to differentiate it from the one star I give to books I did not like/hated. For those, my reviews are posted in the Review box.

I started to do this because some GR members wonder why people rate books when we did not finish it. Though the way I manage my GR book listing is for my personal monitoring, I don't want to ignore the fact that it may not make sense to other members who do follow the reviews to help them make decision on what to read.

...it's also for authors who may get mad at me.

message 5: by DL (new)

DL I like your one star method. I wish GR had a DNF. I usually just mark a bad book "read" and then get confused when I can't remember it.