Taueret's Reviews > Bitter Seeds

Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis

Jun 16, 10

bookshelves: have, speculative-fiction, sci-fi, thriller, horror
Read from June 06 to 16, 2010

Picked this up the first time (downloaded the sample chapter from Amazon) and couldn't get into it, somehow). Bought it anyway, or maybe accidentally (!) and the second time I started it I couldn't put it down.

A tale of our (magical) baddies and their (super-duper-medically-enhanced) baddies duking it out in WWII, with Western Europe as the prize, _Bitter Seeds_ follows the intersecting arcs of the careers of best friends aristocratic Will and commoner Marsh as they help Britain fight back against the Nazis' Gotterelektrongruppe- tragic "supermen" created from orphans in the barbaric medical labs of Doctor Westarp.

This is a tale of personal sacrifice and self-interest, of evil choices made for noble reasons, madness and revenge. Individuals, especially civilians, are just kibble for the dogs of war, their lives having little value to either side as part of the bigger picture. Those who survive are eager to move on and begin afresh, shaking off the taint of contact with the damaged. There is no line between the morality of us and them, in this book. History, written by the victors, colours everything.

Sound too dark for you? Nah. Remember what a woosie I am. There is a lot to think about in this book, but if you're not as prone to overthinking as I am, you will be able to simply enjoy a thrilling thriller, packed with thrills. kind of X-Men meets, oh I don't know... maybe Inglourious Basterds? with a dash of Men who Stare at Goats? This is another book I can see adapting with minimal tweaking to the big screen, it would make an awesome movie. If you do like overthinking, there is plenty here to chew on, while you enjoy a scary and wild ride right to the last page.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Seeds.