Dan Solomon's Reviews > The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century

The Next 100 Years by George Friedman

Jun 05, 10

Read in May, 2010

I made it through the first seven chapters in, like, four enthusiastic hours. He talks some convincing shit about history and what we can extrapolate from history in order to better understand what the future might hold. It's insightful and readable and very smart.

The next three chapters took about a week, and I found myself constantly checking my iPhone while I was reading it. I couldn't figure out why, and then I realized that the guy was probably just making shit up.

The reason the first several chapters work is because it's realistic to think that you could predict what 2025 is going to look like - it's not really that far away, and the key players are all on the board already. But the further he gets from right now, the wackier he comes off - in order for his 2050 to be right, he's got to get everything right in 2040, and that means 2030 has to be right, and 2020, too. I don't have that much faith in this guy, and so when he talks about our forthcoming Space War With Turkey And Japan, I feel like I'm reading weird geo-political fan-fiction.

If he'd called it "The Next 20 Years" and written it as a fanzine or something, I'd be recommending it to everybody I met. Instead, I don't think I'll ever even make it to the end of the thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next 100 Years.