MisterFweem's Reviews > A Fine and Pleasant Misery

A Fine and Pleasant Misery by Patrick F. McManus

Jun 04, 10

Read in June, 2010

I went through a serious Pat McManus phase when I was in high school. I read and re-read his books and guffawed through them all. Then they sat on the shelf and for the longest time, I didn't pick them up. Decided to re-read this classic this week and found it just as funny as it was way back then.

You don't have to be a sportsman or outdoorswoman to enjoy McManus' humor which harks back to the aw-shucks vein of Mark Twain without ever being bilous. If you enjoy a good tale, some true, some obviously embellished, give McManus a try.

I find in the books I read that if I can identify characters from them with people I meet, the author has created a vivid, true character. I know so many Pats and Trolls and Retch Sweeneys and Rancid Crabtrees to tell me McManus is a master at characterization -- and it probably helps that he's building on real characters. My favorite is Pat's long-time friend Retch, who is like me in many respects: Not too bright, but willing to hang out with Pat and make a fool of himself as necessary. And it's always necessary.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fine and Pleasant Misery.