Patrick Gibson's Reviews > The Passage

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Jun 20, 10

bookshelves: horror-of-it, the_apocalypse
Read from June 09 to 20, 2010

Don’t be afraid of this. It is epic. After reading three fantastic reviews in one week I knew this was going to be my summer read. Unfortunately it was so amazing I couldn’t make it last longer than a week. Those nine hundred pages fly by with a story as compelling and fascinating as any modern apocalyptic novel can be (think: The Stand). The author is not afraid to establish a panoply of complex characters and then take them on a long journey. It is foremost a horror/adventure/road trip with some pretty amazing creatures driving the story. There are a few moments when the author simply rips your heart out and then makes you wait and wait for a resolution. It is exquisite torture—and worth the torment (it’s the huge jump in time I’m talking about—you’ll see). Vast in scale, yet punctuated with fascinating detail. (How much do you want to know about lithium batteries?) Is it great literature? Nah. Is it a great read nevertheless? Yah. Come on people, it’s a vampire novel! It’s summer! Head to the beach and take this. You will have a bone-chomping good time.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage.