UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish's Reviews > Innocent on Her Wedding Night

Innocent on Her Wedding Night by Sara Craven

Jun 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: virgins, own-have-read, donate-sell-trade, reviewed-by-me, misunderstandings, 2010-reads, harlequin
Read from June 04 to 05, 2010

What an emotionally draining read. Anyone who thinks that Harlequin always means brainless read, should think again. However, that said, Innocent On Her Wedding Night was a hard book to get through and an even harder book to review.

Here are the reasons:

Sara Craven has the writing of angst, torment, guilt, betrayal and passion down to an art, but let me tell you, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to finish it. Not since reading Whitney, My Love have I read a book that was so frustratingly full of life altering misunderstandings and lack of communication. I’m not saying that Innocent On Her Wedding Night is in the same league as Whitney, My Love, just that it was easily that frustrating.

I persevered, however, secure in my belief that after all the pain we endured reliving the events of their tortured past, that their happily ever after would be amazing. But honestly, at one point, I wasn’t sure there was even going to be one because of how badly the hero, Daniel, and the heroine, Laine, treated each other. Even though I kept reminding myself that this is a Harlequin and I needed to keep the faith because surely the happily ever after was coming, with only 20 or so pages to go, I had to skip to the end to make sure that they were actually going to end up together. And of course they did, but that in and of itself was really quite disappointing. I just didn’t buy the way things were resolved, the emotions, and especially not the dialog. The angst was totally believable, but the joy of their reunion … no so much. In fact, I almost felt like I was reading the writing of two different authors, one writing the suffering, the other writing the joy with the joy not terribly convincing. The words were there, but I didn’t feel it.

Another issue I have is with the author’s writing style. This book takes place in the past and the present. There are many flashbacks in which we are actually seeing events unfold, many times when the heroine was merely in the present thinking of the past, and then of course, in the present thinking of the present. The problem I have is that there was absolutely no indication which time period we were in. No paragraph break, no italics, no “Laine thought back to the time…” Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. I had to go back and forth too many times to try and figure out where we were and what was happening. This was just plain poor writing/editing/style and unless someone tells me she no longer writes that way, I’ll not go out of my way to get anything else by this author.

I really wasn’t in the mood for this kind of emotional turmoil. I grabbed this book thinking… Harlequin = easy, happy read but wow, was I wrong. However, I’m still giving this book a generous 3/5 stars because of how well said emotional turmoil was written. For making the story flow well and easy to follow, it gets 0 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Innocent on Her Wedding Night.

06/04/2010 page 1
0.54% "Reading for the All Things Summer and Slightly More Challenging Challenges in the We Love Lisa Kleypas Group."
06/05/2010 page 103
55.98% "Alright, I'm starting to see where this is going... it's not all torment and anguish. There's a little guilt there, too."
06/05/2010 page 133
72.28% "GAH!!! If Laine doesn't tell Dan about that blasted letter I'm going to tell him myself!!!!"
06/05/2010 page 133
72.28% "And WHY does the GR stats on this book say 256 pages when there are only 184???"
06/05/2010 page 184
100.0% "Talk about an emotional rollercoaster. Review to follow. And thank you, whoever corrected the page count! I wish my children were that efficient at cleaning their rooms!" 2 comments
06/30/2016 marked as: own-have-read

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Wait! There's a book by Sara Craven?? Derek Craven's wife?? ^_^

message 2: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Jun 06, 2010 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Maybe a great, great, great granddaughter? Both the author and the H/H are from England, too.

message 3: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz The problem I have is that there was absolutely no indication which time period we were in. No paragraph break, no italics, no “Laine thought back to the time…” Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. I had to go back and forth too many times to try and figure out where we were and what was happening.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Eastofoz wrote: "I hate, hate, hate that :-/ It confuses the reader and makes getting through the book a chore. "

EXACTLY!!! There was so much potential! A reader shouldn't have to practically study a book to find the answers.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Sorry this was disappointing to you. I've noticed that it's common to flip into flashbacks in the HPs. I think I've just gotten used to it when I read. Sara Craven always has angst in her books. Probably why I like her.

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Jun 07, 2010 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I like angsty, too, just wasn't expecting it which bears no reflection on the book itself because the angst was well written.

And I'm even OK with flashbacks, but in this book there was no indication of where we were. No paragraph break, no italics, etc... maybe it's me but I had a hard time following along.

OH, and I found that I have The Innocent's Surrender on my book shelf, so I'll be giving her another chance.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I totally get what you're saying. I think you'll find that one to be more cohesive.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you! I won't be quite so apprehensive about reading it.

message 10: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Great review, UM!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Thank you, Beanbag!!

message 12: by Dina (new)

Dina I read a lot of books by Sara Craven in my teens and I don't recall being confused by her writing style. In fact, I enjoyed it a lot. I was probably like Danielle, used to the angst and the flip into flashbacks. Not sure if she's still my cuppa, though.

message 13: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Jun 07, 2010 02:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish As I mentioned, the angst was well written angst. What I didn't like was having to go back and forth between paragraphs trying to figure out where in time we are. This is the first book I've read that was like this. Hopefully the next one won't be.