Brandy Painter's Reviews > The Grimm Legacy

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

Feb 05, 11

bookshelves: fairy-tale-retellings, fantasy, young-adult
Read from February 02 to 04, 2011

I enjoyed the time I spent reading this. It is a delightful read, a combination of mystery and adventure with magic and romance thrown in for good measure. It is not without its flaws, there are times at the beginning when the story moves a bit slow and some of the dialogue sounds a little forced at times. But it sure is fun. Elizabeth is a Cinderella type but the story, rather than being a retelling of one or more tales, is a story with a magic of its own that incorporates the magic of the Grimm tales too. I liked the concept of the Repository and the magic it contains. The magic is not explained and there are several mysteries not totally resolved by the end. It requires a suspension of belief but that is what Fairy Tales are all about. The story concentrates on Elizabeth and her three closest friends at the library and I was excited to see the multiple races displayed in this quartet. Non-white prevalent characters are not easily found in fantasy. The kids themselves are teens trying to fit in, suffering from unrequited crushes, discovering requited romance, dealing with annoying siblings and learning how to be a true friend. They are characters to which the audience can relate despite their magical circumstances. The two romances in the book are believable. (And one of the boys is my kind of hero, that made it even better.) The romantic entanglements are limited to flirting and kissing. There is more than one kissing scene, though they are done tastefully. I think this novel would be perfect for middle grade girls who are not quite yet ready for the more mature content of some YA novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grimm Legacy.

Quotes Brandy Liked

Polly Shulman
“What I mean is, all the terrible things that happen in fairy tales seem real. Or not real, but genuine. Life is unfair, and the bad guys keep winning and good people die. But I like how that's not always the end of it...Evil is real, but so is good. They always say fairy tales are simplistic, black and white, but I don't think so. I think they're complicated. That's what I love about them.”
Polly Shulman, The Grimm Legacy