Mojca's Reviews > To the Edge

To the Edge by Cindy Gerard

Jun 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: bodyguard-military-merc-gov-cop-spy, cindy-gerard, suspense-mystery-adventure-thriller, contemporary-romance, bitchslappable-heroine
Read on March 26, 2011 , read count: 1

After four sweet, "uncomplicated" contemporaries without a single dead body I needed something to get me back on track with my second-favorite genre. Judging from the reviews, I thought I found the perfect author and series to do the job. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

This book suffers severely from three major book illnesses - firstbookinaseriesitis, annoyingheroineitis and annoyinheroitis.
While the first one could be ignored, because I was intrigued by the "world-building" and the staff and (future) going-ons at E.D.E.N Inc., the other two were a bit too much to overcome.
At first it was the heroine that went on my nerves with her childish tantrum-throwing behavior when she didn't get what she wanted, her denial, her general attitude. Then, just as she finally became a worthy heroine, it's the hero that does the annoy-fest. I love me a brooding guy like as much as the next girl, but Nolan went overboard with his poor-peasant-me 'tude. Sure, he had some issues, sure, he was entitled to a good guilt-trip, but enough's enough.

The only redeeming quality—and I'm not talking about the ending—was the mystery. I thought I had it all figured out, rolled my eyes at Nolan for barking up the wrong tree, and then realized, though I wasn't barking up the same one as him, I too was wrong.
The downside of that? No one could've been right, because we were given no clues as to the real villain's identity. It came straight out of the left field.

Though my expectations weren't that high, I can safely say this was a bit of a letdown.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To the Edge.