Margot's Reviews > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Jun 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, mystery, contemporary-fiction, book-group
Read from July 11 to 28, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo follows anti-social and troubled Lisbeth Salandar and kind but righteous journalist Mikael Blomksvist as they try to unravel a thirty-year-old family mystery, following it through twists and turns to an ultimately unexpected end.

This book, for me, presents a strange paradox. On one hand, the portions written from Blomkvist's perspective were mostly boring and made me quickly ready to close the book and go to bed. Salandar's portions were more interesting, but still not by any means riveting. Yet I have no hesitation in saying that I will read the next two books, and soon.

The first hundred pages of this first installment in the Millenium trilogy are slow, to say the least, but the rest of the book maintains a steady pace (flagging only slightly, as I mentioned earlier, in Blomkvist's early portions). It's definitely a very interesting and entertaining read, but by no means groundbreaking or a thrilling page-turner.