Lee's Reviews > Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman by Alan Moore

Jun 04, 10

Read in June, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I may like this more down the road after thinking about it some more. If I were to have rated it right after I read it, it might have only received one star...but reading more opinions on it and understanding a little better the history surrounding it made me like it a little better.

It's cool to see some of the aspects Christopher Nolan and Heath Ledger used to create the Joker in The Dark Knight (including the Joker's mystery past, his desire to prove good people can go insane after a single bad day - like himself).

The ending joke had me a bit perplexed. This was definitely a story about the Joker, but Batman should have had a bit of a stronger character. Maybe it's the fact that Moore made us see how close the Batman really is to the Joker that made me uncomfortable, but then again most enemies are pretty similar (love/hate, freedom/equality).

The Joker's crippling and desecration of Barbara Gordon was rather disturbing and my main reason for initially not liking the book. But it was pointed out that the only reason he did it was to try to drive Commissioner Gordon insane. Not that that's a good reason to do what he did, but at least there's no reason to believe he raped her - which would have gone over the top for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.